Sunday, December 22, 2013

Winter Sojourn 2013 - Day One

Today started early.  Aaron set a goal of leaving the house by 7am.  He planned to wake the children at 6 and be actually driving by 7.  I lowered the goal by suggesting we would certainly be able to be moving by 8, with 6am waking up.

The children are mostly morning people.  The Tiger would prefer to sleep in, wake and move at her own pace, but all of the boys (Ringleader Aaron too actually) do quite well with early hours.  I hate mornings.  Before kids, there was only one 6:00 in each day, and that was approximately when dinner might start to happen.  Aaron worked around this issue by insisting I have the first shower.  I love showers and baths.  Morning showers are my morning coffee.  I am mostly ready for the world after a nice hot morning shower.  While I showered, my awesome morning person husband convinced the Monkey and the Tiger to get dressed while holding the cheerful Goat.  By the time I stumbled downstairs, all children were dressed and eating or helping in some way to get us out the door.  This is basically unheard of in our house.  Most mornings include at least one fight between Monkey and Tiger and one argument between me and either Monkey or Tiger and sometimes with both.  Today the only bickering that I recall was between me and the Tiger about what I meant by regular shoes. Regular shoes are not the dinosaur slippers you recently rediscovered and can't seem to part with.  Regular shoes are not the sparkly rain boots that you think you need to wear because the snow is melting and thus it is wet out there.  Nope.  Regular shoes really does mean the black running shoes you insisted on even though I think they indicate you will wear black makeup when you are a teenager.

OK, in the car!  Buckled up!  Everyone has used the toilet, figured out where the toys are, has a fluffy thing, adjusted the air vents, made sure water bottles are able to be opened, no really used the toilet and not just noticed that the bathroom has a toilet.  Time check?  Place your bets... Did we leave by 7?

7:26, with 6am waking up.  Not bad for a little three ring circus.

The drive itself was rather uneventful.  There were next to no arguments (cue Twilight Zone music).  I had delightful and necessary naps, since I'm coming down with a cold (Happy Holidays to me). The Knights' Tales audiobooks are still funny.  We made three stops I think. One was for gas, air, and bathrooms.  Another was for bathrooms, right before we found our lunch stop (number 3). And we came to our regular hotel in State College, PA.  I highly recommend this hotel, the Best Western University Park on Shiloh.  It is right off the highway, has terrific service, comfortable rooms, and is near to many restaurants which I'm sure would be great if we ever branch out.  We stick with Brother's Pizza and would recommend it too since the food is delicious and the service is friendly.  The folks there actually recognize us, despite our infrequent visits!  Hmm... Maybe they recognize us because we stand out just like circus performers... Loud, colorful, amusing... :). 

Tomorrow's destination will be my parents' home.

No comments:

Post a Comment