Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Winter Sojourn Continues

We arrived in northern Kentucky without any difficulties, which I consider a Christmas miracle even though I don't celebrate Christmas.  Settling in seemed easier than in previous visits, and red wine probably contributed to that feeling.

Since arriving, I had the pleasure of last minute Christmas shopping with my dad.  This tradition is important to me because it is an opportunity to hear how things are with him without interruption.  Our shopping trip was short, but I enjoyed his company.  After the shopping, we met up with the rest of the family (my mom, the kids, and Aaron) for lunch at Cracker Barrel.  You either love Cracker Barrel or hate Cracker Barrel.  I adore Cracker Barrel.  I get nostalgic for Cracker Barrel.  It's one of the few places with too much kitsch and too many people that I absolutely love.  I know it's all marketing, but it feels so cozy to me.  Some day I will own white Cracker Barrel rocking chairs.  Some day I will be able to make buttermilk biscuits as tasty as the ones there.  Okay, enough waxing poetic on Cracker Barrel.  

After an overfilling lunch, we visited my Mamaw.  For you pure northerners, I mean my paternal grandmother. Mamaw and Papaw are southern words for grandma and grandpa.  I am in awe of my Mamaw.  She birthed six babies, raised five, all with very little income.  Then she helped to raise some of my cousins, and she always let her grandchildren stay with her no matter how inconvenient. She had a vegetable garden and canned lots of the harvest.  She raised chickens, both for eggs and meat.  She only had about a third grade education, but she is one of the smartest ladies I know.  Until a few years ago, she was living on her own, but now she lives in a nursing home.  It's hard to see her there.  I think of her as strong and wise, but now I see only the wisdom and her love.  She gets around on a hovercraft style wheelchair.  We had a quiet visit, but I'm always glad to see her.  I tell her about the kids, try to figure out how she managed with so much less.  She just says "what do you mean how did I do it?  I just did what I did. You just do it."  And so I tell myself that when  I'm having a rough day.  You just do it.

Jacob napped after the visit, and the kids worked on a gingerbread house with my mom.  It was a very long project, so we passed the waiting time with rainbow looms.  It was fun to craft together, and I don't consider myself a crafty person.  Here's a picture of their construction efforts.


I'm writing this on Christmas Day, and there is lots to add about the frenzy of Christmas morning. However, I will say that Christmas Eve was a good day.  The kids have been happy almost the whole time they have been here.  We leave for northwest Indiana tomorrow morning.  For those of you traveling, may your journeys be safe and peaceful.  For everyone, may your family gatherings be full of love and joy.



No comments:

Post a Comment